Saturday, March 8, 2008

Experiencing Temptation/Resisting Temptation - Lent

In the Christian calendar we particularly think of temptation during Lent. The dictionary says that temptation is 'an attempt to persuade or entice to do something, specially morally wrong or unwise'. If I offered you this mouldy pasta and salad I can guarantee you would not be tempted to eat it!

Experiencing Temptation
The problem with temptation as I see it is that it is subtle and usually seems harmless.It is always good to remember that temptation in itself is not a sin. It is, however, part of a crafty plan to attempt to separate us from God, inviting us to rebel and it feeds off our tendency to be self-sufficient.

Resisting Temptation
If I knew when I was going to be tempted, where, when and on what... I wonder what my daily life would be like? Would I be better prepared? I don't know, but I would probably be a nervous wreck! Knowing that Temptation can strike anywhere, anytime, specially when we are vulnerable or too sure of ourselves helps to resist. I have learned that temptation needs to be resisted immediately-when you engage with it you often give in and usually go down a harmful road. What about having a plan of your own ready to resist when temptation comes-after all you already have a sneaky feeling about what some of them are! and when they might come!

No comments: